It is an acoustic wave which carries its high energy to the painful spot and provokes healing and repair processes. It can be defined as a wave with a rapid rise of pressure within a very short time and then having a gradual decrease of pressure with a small negative pressure phase.
It is a pressure pulse with following characteristics
- High positive pressure amplitude 10-1000MPa = 100-1000 Bar (100*atmospheric pressure)
- Low negative pressure amplitude 1- 10 MPa
- Short time duration (1-20 microseconds)
- Rapid pressure increase <100ns
- Broad frequency spectrum (1Hz to 1MHz)
Overall Advantages Of Shock Wave Therapy
- By targeted application, stress to the surrounding tissues is quite insignificant.
- No medications required.
- Surgical intervention and their relative hazards can be prevented.